- We were thought of and designed before the foundation of the world.
The word of the Lord came to me, saying, "Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations." - Jeremiah 1:4-5
- We were seen and formed uniquely in our mothers' wombs.
For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, your eyes saw my unformed body. - Psalm 139:13-16
- Our parents were assigned to us.
- Our genders were established.
- Our races and nationalities were set.
From one man he made every nation of men, that they should inhabit the whole earth; and he determined the times set for them and the exact places where they should live.
- Acts 17:26
- Our times in history were assigned.
For when David had served God's purpose in his own generation, he fell asleep; he was buried with his fathers and his body decayed. - Acts 13:36.
- The number of our days and time of death were determined.
All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.
- Psalm 139:16
- Our brothers and sisters were chosen.
- Our birth orders were determined.
- Our temperaments were given.
- Our natural gifts were born in us
Am I artistic, athletic, academic?
- Our spiritual gifts are bestowed:
We have different gifts, according to the grace given us. If a man's gift is prophesying, let him use it in proportion to his faith. If it is serving, let him serve; if it is teaching, let him teach; if it is encouraging, let him encourage; if it is contributing to the needs of others, let him give generously; if it is leadership, let him govern diligently; if it is showing mercy, let him do it cheerfully.
- Romans 12:6-8
- Our educations
- Our experiences
Remember how the Lord your God led you all the way in the desert these forty years, to humble you and to test you in order to know what was in your heart, whether or not you would keep his commands. He humbled you, causing you to hunger and then feeding you with manna, which neither you nor your fathers had known, to teach you that man does not live on bread alone but on every word that comes from the mouth of the Lord.
- Deut. 8:2-3
There are many different ways to draw near to God. They could be intellectual, relational, worship, nature, contemplative, serving, or activist. (See Gary Thomas, Sacred Pathways)
There are many different styles of leadership: visionary, entrepreneurial, strategic, motivational, shepherding, role model, and managerial.
Someone has suggested that there are different styles of ministry based on the offices of Christ:
- Prophetic disruptions
- Kingly leadership
- Priestly connection
- Our passions for ministry
- Our attitudes in ministry
- Our genius—highest and best use or our core competencies
- Our weaknesses